Another quote of Patrick Henry: “This is all the Inheritance I can give to my dear Family. The Religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.”
O’ that we could once more experience such Godliness at the helm of our nation!!
Please take a few moments to click the photo-link above for the whole story and details of the National Monument to the Forefathers in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
A PATRIOT: As one belonging first to God, spiritually I am merely a “tenant” in this land called America, a tenant in the same sense that the Hebrews first became “tenants” of Egypt before falling into bondage to Pharaoh. As a man of born of flesh and blood in this land, I am a citizen of this United States of America and I have grown to love my country with all its blemishes.
A SERVANT: As one belonging to God, however and wherever I serve is first in service to God as my Lord. I’m humbled to have had the opportunity to serve God and my country as an Airman in the United States Air Force. It breaks my heart to see the dramatic change in heart of the inheritors of America’s liberties and freedoms. There’s been a radical transformation from the God-honoring hearts and attitudes of our nation’s founders into the shameful attitude of presumption and entitlement driving our nation into s cesspool of immorality and financial enslavement and bankruptcy.
“…ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE…:
- MAYFLOWER COMPACT: It is a sad but true generalization that the American of today is a very long way from the example of those first settlers who set foot from the Mayflower. From boat to beach they brought what became known as The Mayflower Compact, the first agreement of self-government signed in 1620 that clearly and intentionally stated the desire for a culture with the orientation of its citizens towards the advancement of the Christian faith.
- DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE: In 1776 the Declaration of Independence reflects the Founders’ attitude of subordination to “divine Providence” and the endowments of “Nature’s God” and the “Creator”.
- FEDERALIST PAPERS: The Federalist Papers were written pointing to the need for the deliberation of what was to become the Constitution of the United States of America and, while not necessarily focused upon religious thinking, very clearly recognized the treacherous and devious hearts of men. Alexander Hamilton, in his general introduction wrote to the People of the State of New York this statement in concern for “perverted ambition“:
“Among the most formidable of the obstacles which the new Constitution will have to encounter may readily be distinguished the obvious interest of a certain class of men in every State to resist all changes which may hazard a diminution of the power, emolument, and consequence of the offices they hold under the State establishments; and the perverted ambition of another class of men, who will either hope to aggrandize themselves by the confusions of their country, or will flatter themselves with fairer prospects of elevation…”
- CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: In recognition of over a thousand years of the perversion of government-instituted religion, the First Amendment of the US Constitution prohibits government from establishing any religious expression as the “official” religion of the state. In fact, in the First Amendment deliberations, 19th century Union Theological Seminary historian Philip Schaff observed an understanding if the intent of “separation of church and state” that differs greatly from contemporary thinking:
“The American separation of church and state rests upon respect for the church; the [European anticlerical] separation, on indifference and hatred of the church, and of religion itself…. The constitution did not create a nation, nor its religion and institutions. It found them already existing, and was framed for the purpose of protecting them under a republican form of government, in a rule of the people, by the people, and for the people.”
The evidence that the men who signed the Constitution were more than simply men of religion, but evangelical followers of Jesus Christ is overwhelming. Statements made in correspondence from the founders as Christians have been compiled that reflect clear and passionate evangelical perspectives.
THE “NEW” DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE: Very clearly, America has already slipped off the edge of the precipice and hurdles to the European anti-clerical attitude based upon indifference and outright hatred of the church. Many argue today that not all of the founders and signers of the Declaration of Independence were religiously like-minded. I don’t disagree but those hostile to the reality of the Christian attitudes and mindsets have gone way beyond any notion of the lack of “like-mindedness”; they are actively- and successfully- rewriting history so as to create the illusion that Christian ideals had no influence whatsoever in the formation and conduct of our nation and its people. America has enacted a NEW Declaration of Independence, having declared their intentions to become independent of God!
Thus, Americans are pulling Christianity out of America by the roots and rewriting history in order to erase the Godly persuasions, motivations, and intentions of the Founders who planned for the perpetuity of the Christian virtues essential for a nation with the Constitution written for a God-fearing people to endure.
THE CHURCH: LEADING AMERICA…OR FOLLOWING HER? Not only is America growing increasingly hostile to Christianity, but the organization of the church is looking far more like the American culture than the “organism” of the church exemplified by Jesus Christ and His earliest followers.
I used to say that “…the church is not far behind America in its godlessness…”. But the truth of the matter is that it’s not America leading the church to godlessness! It is the church that is leading America to godlessness!! Almost 150 years ago in 1873 Charles G. Finney wrote this in his sermon, “The Decay of Conscience”:
“…If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that the very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it. Let us not ignore this fact, my dear brethren; but let us lay it to heart, and be thoroughly awake to our responsibility in respect to the morals of this nation.”
Now, nearly 150 years later, we see the self-fulfilling “prophecy of Charles Finney unfolding. No longer does the 21st century church proclaim the 1st century Jesus as the answer for sin– or if it does, it is so soft-pedaled that it treats “sin” as simple “mistakes” and “misdeeds”, like the inconsequential acts of toddlers.
Instead the 21st century church promotes the “new” 21st century Jesus as the way to health and prosperity, and the answer to depression, discouragement, loneliness, financial duress, disease, and illness. And, oh by the way, one doesn’t have to worry about sin anymore, God has forgiven all! Just pray this certain prayer and all is well…
REVIVAL IS BORN OUT OF REPENTANCE: Christian Americans and the organization of the church do not need revival; we need repentance! We have come to think that repentance is born out of revival. This is wrong! REVIVAL IS BORN OUT OF REPENTANCE!!
We need a change of mind that causes a change of heart that causes a change of direction; and we need to return to rediscover the life exemplified by Jesus, the kind of life that reflects the return to that “first love” of which John the Apostle gave this warning”: “I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place–unless you repent.” (Revelation 2:3-5)
Perhaps many of today’s Americans who profess to being Christians have been misguided and aren’t even aware of the original and true meaning of the word, “Christian“, or the severe and far-reaching implications and influence of sin.
And perhaps, there are those who, like myself, need a humbling reminder that, at the same time grace has saved me from suffering the penalty I have earned, there are still people from my past who are suffering because of my wrongs, and there will be people (my children and my grandchildren, for example) who face suffering today and in the future because of my failures of yesterday, today, or tomorrow!! I’m not “preaching” from a “high-horse”, here. I’m preaching to an audience staring back from a mirror…
America, everyone reading this article needs to stop looking outwardly at the cause of all the problems in America today! If everyone would look into the mirror of the Word of God, we would see that the problem is not “them” but is “me” and then make a new DECLARATION OF DEPENDENCE upon God. Then…and ONLY then…is there the hope in God’s promise saying, “…my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
Christian, if you are reading this article then examine yourself! America needs a Josiah! Check it out: America Needs a Josiah!
- Check out: Harbingers Is God warning His church? America? You decide…
- Check out American Christianity- Rants and Musings where I share more concerns about the relationship of America with Christianity.
- Check out Belshazzar Experience- American Style to see one person’s analysis of recent events in America as being the “handwriting on the wall” of America!