OUR SPIRITUAL ENEMY
The Bible teaches about the existence of a personal spirit of evil. More than that, one only has to review history or today’s newspaper to realize the existence of a powerful, diabolical spirit who works upon the fallen nature of man, suggesting and enticing to commit evil acts. The spirit of evil is often referred to as the devil. Is the devil a real “being” or just a “force” that is in opposition of “good”?
1. In the following verses, what personal names or descriptions are given to the devil?
a. Isaiah 14:12
b. John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11
c. Ephesians 2:2
d. 2 Corinthians 4:4
e. Revelation 12:9, 14, 15
f. Revelation 12:3, 9, 13, 17
g. Ezekiel 28:14
h. 2 Corinthians 11:14
i. Matthew 12:27
j. Matthew 4:3
k. 1 Peter 5:8
l. 1 John 2:13; 3:12; 5:18
m. 2 Corinthians 6:15
n. Matthew 13:39
o. Luke 22:31 34
p. Ephesians 6:12,13
2. From the following verses, do you think the work of Satan is distinguished from the work of the flesh and the world? (Ephesians 2:2,3; James 4:4; 1 John 2:3,4)
THE “FALL” OF SATAN
3. What do you learn in Ezekiel 28:11 19 about Satan’s origin?
…about the cause of his fall?
…about his future?
4. What does Isaiah 14:13,14 say about the reason for his downfall? What do you think was the condition of his “heart”?
What does it say about his ultimate defeat (v. 15)?
THE WORK OF SATAN
5. Read Genesis 3:1 7. When Satan came to Eve in verse 1, how did he attempt to create doubt in her mind?
What was the lie of verse 4?
In what three ways did Satan tempt Eve (v.6)?
6. In John 8:44, Jesus has been responding to the accusations of some of the religious leaders of His time. In this dialogue, how does He describe Satan?
7. What are three areas Satan uses to carry out his evil deeds (1 John 2:16)?
8. Read again the account of Satan’s temptation of Eve. In what ways could it be said that she experienced temptation in all these areas?
a. the “lust of the flesh”?
b. the “lust of the eyes”?
c. the “pride of life”?
9. In the account of Satan tempting Christ in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1 11), in what ways was our Lord tempted?
10. In what way does Satan hinder someone from faith in Christ (2 Corinthians 4:4)?
11. In Luke 8:12, how did Jesus describe the work of Satan?
CHRISTIANS SHOULD RESIST THE DEVIL
12. According to Hebrews 2:14 15, what did Christ accomplish by His death?
13. What has given the believer victory over the power of Satan? (1 John 4:4)
14. In view of Satan’s ability to suggest evil, what are believers exhorted to do?
a. 1 Peter 5:8
b. Ephesians 4:27
c. James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9
d. Ephesians 6:11
15. With what weapon? (Ephesians 6:17)
WHAT IS SATAN’S ULTIMATE DOOM?
16. What is prepared for the devil? (Matthew 25:41)
17. What will be done to the devil when Jesus returns to reign? (Revelation 20:1 3)
18. What will take place after the thousand year reign of Christ on earth? (Rev. 20:7 9)
19. What will be Satan’s final doom? (Rev. 20:10)