Knowing God’s Will: Insight from George Müller
When it came to knowing God’s will, George Müller (1805-1898), an English evangelist and philanthropist, was remarkably and humbly gifted. A man of faith and prayer, Müller established orphanages in Bristol and founded the Scriptural Knowledge Institution for Home and Abroad. The following are wonderful excerpts from one of his essays.
Knowing God’s Will – How to Ascertain the Will of God
I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are over come when our hearts are ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.
I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.
Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.
God is the potter; we are the clay. God keeps us spinning on His potter’s wheel, shaping and reshaping us as He bathes our lives in tears to make us more Christ-like so He can use us for His will. Surrender daily. Keep your clay moist through daily prayer – prayer that’s in accordance to His will.
Additional Scripture References “Will of God”:
- Mark 3:35 For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother.”
- Luke 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him.
- Acts 13:36 “For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep, was buried with his fathers, and saw corruption;
- Romans 1:10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.
- Romans 8:27 Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God .
- Romans 12:2 that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God .
- Romans 15:32 that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed together with you.
- 1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
- 2 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth
- 2 Corinthians 8:5 first gave themselves to the Lord, and then to us by the will of God .
- Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus:
- Ephesians 6:6 not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart,
- Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
- Colossians 4:12 in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God .
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- 2 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
- Hebrews 10:36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
- 1 Peter 2:15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—
- 1 Peter 3:17 For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
- 1 Peter 4:2 time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God .
- 1 Peter 4:19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
- 1 John 2:17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Another excellent resource on knowing the will of God in one’s life.