THE FIVE-FOLD WITNESS OF JESUS CHRIST
WHAT IS THE “5-FOLD WITNESS OF CHRIST”? Where God commanded that no less than 2 witnesses are required to “prove” something to be TRUE, the TRUTH that Jesus Christ is THE “Anointed One” that is promised in the Old Testament is proven by no less than 5 witnesses!!
From the text of John 5:30-47 is the Word of Jesus that, years ago, came to be called the “5-fold Witness of Jesus Christ”.
The “5-fold Witness of Jesus Christ” are five ABSOLUTE, IRREFUTABLE, INDISPUTABLE proofs that Jesus Christ is who He claims to be.
Before moving ahead, it is important to understand the definition of the word, “witness” and, more importantly, what God declares as the MINIMUM standard by which the “witness” is acceptable as truth.
- WHAT DOES THE WORD “WITNESS” MEAN? And WHAT IS GOD’S STANDARD FOR THE TRUTH OF WITNESS?
- To “witness” means to attest to facts or an event which establishes evidence or proof
- God commanded through Moses the minimum standard by which evidence or proof of facts must be established: “One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established…” (Deuteronomy 19:15)
WHAT FACTS OR EVENTS ATTEST TO THE ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY OF THE VALIDITY OF THE MESSIANIC CLAIMS OF JESUS CHRIST? In John 5:30-47 there are 5 witnesses that testify to the truth of Jesus Christ’s claim of being God’s “Anointed One”, the Messiah:
- The 1st Witness: Jesus Himself makes the claim (John 5:17 – 47). In other words, if we were in a courtroom, the “witness of Jesus” is Jesus Christ’s defense of Himself before the judge and the jury.
- The 2nd Witness: The testimony of John the Baptist: (John 5:33-35). In other words, in the same courtroom, John the Baptist stands as like a “character witness”, confirming to jury what he had seen of Jesus that CONFIRMS the claims that Jesus is making of Himself.
- The 3rd Witness: The Witness of Works: (John 5:36). Again, in this imaginary courtroom, in the same way that the “defense” produces the “weapon”, pictures of the stolen goods, photographs of the break-in, etc. to the judge to prove the “works” of the criminal, the “works” of Jesus Christ which are, among other things, His miracles are given as evidence.
- The 4th Witness: The Witness of the Father: (John 5:37-38) Now, a very close “relative takes the witness stand in defense of the claims of Jesus. God His Father AGREES and AFFIRMS that He the Father has granted His power and His authority to His own Son.
- The 5th Witness: The Witness of the Scriptures: (John 5:39-47) Finally, evidence is produced that is the “final summation” of the court proceeding when an EXTRAORDINARILY reliable document is produced, a sealed and authenticated “will and testament” written by a irreproachable and blameless author…the father himself…attesting to the truths of the claims of the “plaintiff”. We call it the Bible!
The TRUTH has been firmly established that Jesus Christ is THE promised Messiah; MORE importantly, the PURPOSE of the Scriptures…and our teaching the Scriptures… is the reiteration of those truths that the WITNESS of Jesus Christ is not LOST; and that in THIS way, we are going about making DISCIPLES…and not false witness!!!!