Week 2: Here Comes the Bride (the Church)
BIBLE STUDY SUBJECT: “The Bride of Jesus Christ”
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY: The purpose of this study is to two-fold:
- To bring truth and understanding of WHAT and WHO the Bible says is the “Bride of Jesus Christ”;
- To provide the truths by which one is able to determine one’s own relationship with the “Bride of Jesus Christ”
4 WEEKS / 4 KEY POINTS OF THE STUDY:
- Week 1: The Church: Defined
- Week 2: The Bride Groom and His Bride: the “Who” Revealed
Last week the BRIDE OF CHRIST was introduced as A CITY (Rev 21:9-10).
Ever watch a movie that starts at the END by showing what happened; and then goes to the BEGINNING to tell the story about how the END came to be?
LAST WEEK: “THE END”
- We began our study last week in Revelation 21:9-10 where John is shown by the 7th angel the final, ultimate culmination- the zenith and the finale- of the “bride” that is the Lamb’s “wife”.
- We discussed the symbology of the text as representing the pure and perfect quality of character that is the BRIDE OF CHRIST
- And we discussed the “Church” as defined as the Greek term “ecclesia” as Biblically making reference to:
- “called-out ones;
- the “assembled company” of called-out ones;
- And as the “place” where the Holy Spirit has “gathered together” God’s called-out ones.
THIS WEEK: THE “WHO” AND THE “HOW”
IT IS PERFECTION AND NOT PROFESSION THAT MAKES ONE READY AS THE BRIDE OF CHRIST!
- PROFESSION: It is NOT one’s “profession of faith” that results in one’s name being written in the Book of Life!
- 1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
- 1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth…
- James 2:14, 17-18 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? …faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
- 1 John 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked
- 1 John 2:9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.
PERFECTION: PERFECTION IS THE ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT OF BEING THE BRIDE OF CHRIST!
- The fact that GRACE and not WORKS is the basis by which our SALVATION is attained does NOT excuse us from OBEDIENCE to God.
- Neither does imperfect obedience result in the blotting out of one’s name from the Book of Life.
- OBEDIENCE is the EVIDENCE of our salvation and it is by OBEDIENCE that the qualities required of the Bride of Christ are perfected in us!
- OBEDIENCE is not for salvation; OBEDIENCE is the means to and our part in the process of PERFECTION.
- PERFECTION is not within our ability to attain; PERFECTION is what God does with our OBEDIENCE
- OBEDIENCE is the self-infliction of DISCIPLINE and of SUFFERING;
- Galatians 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires…
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 No, I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified…
- PERFECTION is not attained nor apprehended in the flesh; PERFECTION is God’s WORK, God’S GIFT, and God’s REWARD for one’s PRACTICE the keeping of the commandments:
- Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me…
- Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…
- 1 John 2:5 whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in Him. By this we know that we are in Him…
PRACTICE: It is one’s “practice of faith” in this life that it may be proven that one’s name is written in the Book of Life; and it is by one’s OBEDIENCE to his faith that one is being PERFECTED by God for the next life as the Bride.
- John 13:16-1 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent Him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them…
- James 1:25 …he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does…
- John 14:21, 24 “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him…He who does not love Me does not keep My words…”
- 1 John 1:7 If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin…
- 1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments…
- 1 John 2:5 whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him
- 1 John 2:29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.
ALSO CHECK OUT: